Rahm Emannuel, during the 2008 Presidential campaign, called the women who supported Hillary “bitter knitters” . Somehow, cause we lost, us women of a certain age, would take our knitting, sit around and be bitter. Dearest, Rahm, take that back.
Rahm , Axelrod and Obama, lost the new flock they brought to the Democratic Party. It seems that the inspired are not feeling the Mathews’ thrill up their legs, Tom Hayden’s girlfriend treadmill epiphany nor Arianna’s moment of transcendence. The thrill is gone and they don’t know where to find it.
But here I am, a lefty, real lefty, verging on socialist, who will still vote for the Democrats, give them money and continue to participate. A few things to understand about boomer women, aka, women of a certain age:
- We commit to things and follow through.
- We found inspiration in our youth, on our own ,and managed to keep the flame going through many obstacles.
- We don’t need to be reminded to vote, we always vote.
- We will not shut up.
- We will not be marginalized.
- We never think the job is done and that others will take care of our interests.
- We changed our roles as women, mothers and wives and we will change our roles as “women of a certain age“.
Another election, another night of get out the vote efforts that will be filled with women of a certain age churning out the calls, wo-manning the stations.
I wonder were the newly inspired are, the ones that saved the Democratic party?