The modern day practitioner of enlightenment is confounded by the following contradiction in thinking.
- I am enlightened and believe in freedom of the individual.
- I believe in freedom of religion.
- But, if your religion and your choices as an individual, do not make you like me and my countrymen ( or the people who occupied this place for a long time), I will make enlightened laws to stop you from doing the things that make you different.
Yes, we are open, multicultural and enlightened, but for Christ’s sake, don’t do it here, you are upsetting us and worrying us that you will dominate our culture and then we will not be enlightened anymore.
So, we have confounded ourselves and we cannot figure out how to get out of our predicament. Our leaders of course, engage in our fears cause they want to keep power. Yes, and the voice of my fellow feminists is loud and clear: “we are concerned for our sisters”.
If you are concerned about Muslim women, think about the regimes our western nation support? Think about our love affair with the Saudi culture of oppression, but are you willing to give up your SUV and your lifestyle to save the women of Saudi Arabia? Nope. What if all the women in the great western countries wanted to stop the oppression of Muslim women and decided to not consume any petroleum based products? Why that would involve real political action and not chit chat and a voice in the vortex of outrage, facile outrage that is.
How much is it about women and how much is the rise of political expediency by the European governments who are pandering to the xenophobic rise of their right wing flanks? Just like the American politicians who join in the Islamophobic vortex, here is what the Euros are facing (from a Danish study on the Burqa) :
- Apparently only 367 women wear the Burqa in France, when the census was redone, they increased it to 2,000. Turns out in Denmark, half of the women who wear the Burqa, are European women who converted.
- The Burqa and Islam:
CAIRO — A leading cleric at Egypt’s prestigious Al-Azhar Mosque on Wednesday applauded France’s ban on the face veil worn by some devout Muslim women, saying the niqab harmed Islam’s image.Abdel Muti al-Bayyumi, a member of an influential council of clerics at al-Azhar, said the niqab, a full-face veil that leaves an opening for the eyes, “has no basis in Islamic law and there is nothing in the Koran or Sunna that supports it.”“I personally support (the ban) and many of my brothers in the Islamic Research Academy support it. My position against the niqab is actually older than France’s,” said Bayyumi, who has authored a book against the practice. ( From Agence France)
- Even the Saudis clerics are giving women who live in France a Burqa exemption, no, you don’t have to wear it if it’s forbidden. Why, see, we can still deal with the Saudis, they get it.
So, forgive me sisters and fellow enlightened people if I don’t join in your “Burqa” vortex of outrage, nor your Mosque outrage.
I will be outraged about the women, all the women, who are struggling against all forms of oppression by patriarchical social, economic, political and religious systems of all types.